It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:05 pm


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
Author Message
 Post subject: Skirting material
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:43 pm 

Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 12:32 pm
Posts: 18
TKID: 16591
I believe I have found a very, very close match to the skirting material. I've defended this fabric on the Praetorian Guard Facebook group, but also post it here for your review. Fabric is "Bright Red Cavalry Twill 100% Wool heavy Worsted Suiting". You can find my photos on the following link: https://imgur.com/a/EEdGVrl

Most pictures were taken of the side with the most texture, since this is the side Topps used for their sample card. I do believe, however, that it's the other side, that was used for the skirting. A very good reference is the lifesize cardboard Praetorians that are displayed in some movie theaters and stores, since the printing is very detailed (unlike most photos we have, save for the ones Dawn and Luke provided, of the heavily damaged costume).

Please let me know your thoughts.

_________________
Michael Ren

DS/TR16591
501st Legion - Rebel Legion - LFL Outer Rim approved
Kylo Ren - Praetorian Guard

Sovereign Protectors CRL Team


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Skirting material
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:54 am 

Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:08 pm
Posts: 8
TKID: 57434
That actually looks super close!! I'm wondering if you could hit it with a wire brush or some sandpaper and try to give it more of that fuzzy appearance seen in a lot of the photos. How thick is the fabric? Did the seller list a weight? If it's too drapey, we might be able to back it with some felt or whatnot to give it the right look. Great find!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Skirting material
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:54 pm 

Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 12:32 pm
Posts: 18
TKID: 16591
Steinbrecher wrote:
That actually looks super close!! I'm wondering if you could hit it with a wire brush or some sandpaper and try to give it more of that fuzzy appearance seen in a lot of the photos. How thick is the fabric? Did the seller list a weight? If it's too drapey, we might be able to back it with some felt or whatnot to give it the right look. Great find!


It's perfect thickness IMHO. Not too thick single layered, but once you fold it once (original is double layered), it's suddenly very thick and dense. Not drapey at all. On my link, you can see how I hold the single layer diagonally and it doesn't drape. That sample is boiled once. Doesn't add any real fuzziness, like I orginally wanted it to, but the color looks more realistic (less "freshly dyed") and the structure is better too.

_________________
Michael Ren

DS/TR16591
501st Legion - Rebel Legion - LFL Outer Rim approved
Kylo Ren - Praetorian Guard

Sovereign Protectors CRL Team


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Skirting material
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:34 am 

Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:08 pm
Posts: 8
TKID: 57434
Good find again, I must say I originally went with a much lighter fabric for my skirt and I'm kind of regretting it.... a heavier fabric creates less of a draped, flowing look and has doesn't need to be ironed every time I take it out of the bin! I got a swatch of this stuff a while back and I REALLY dig it, it's very fuzzy but not a felt, i've looked under a magnifying glass and I'm pretty sure it has a twill weave. But it's heavy and cost effective!!

https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.com/products/brushed-wool-coating-fabric?variant=40758625036


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Skirting material
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:23 pm 

Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:14 pm
Posts: 17
Location: London, UK
TKID: 22510
I’m in agreement here.

It’s hard to see for sure from the LA pictures. The skirts are fairly damaged. I’m unsure if they roughened them up before filming.


Image

Image

These 2 pictures above are from the same cavalry twill fabric that best matches.

Image

Image

These 2 are from a screen used kit at the LA show.

Image

Image

Image

And these 3 are also from the LA show of a screen used kit.


So the top 2 pictures are from a found fabric. The rest are all from a screen used suit at the LA show.
The fabric seems to be a very good match. TBH I don’t think that a better fabric will be able to be sourced commercially.
Would love to hear CS thoughts on the match.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Skirting material
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:00 pm 

Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:55 am
Posts: 1
TKID: 76313
What exactly was the LA show you mention in your posts? Was that the red carpet event with Disneyland costumes? Or asked differently: how do you know the kits photographed were used in the movies?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Skirting material
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:49 pm 
Detachment Leader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:38 am
Posts: 2117
Location: Star Garrison
TKID: 4126
DS16591 wrote:
I believe I have found a very, very close match to the skirting material. I've defended this fabric on the Praetorian Guard Facebook group, but also post it here for your review. Fabric is "Bright Red Cavalry Twill 100% Wool heavy Worsted Suiting". You can find my photos on the following link: https://imgur.com/a/EEdGVrl

Most pictures were taken of the side with the most texture, since this is the side Topps used for their sample card. I do believe, however, that it's the other side, that was used for the skirting. A very good reference is the lifesize cardboard Praetorians that are displayed in some movie theaters and stores, since the printing is very detailed (unlike most photos we have, save for the ones Dawn and Luke provided, of the heavily damaged costume).

Please let me know your thoughts.


That Fabric will be fine to use for the Costume. No need to battle damage it as "damaged" will not be part of the requirement. Proceed with your build.

_________________
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Skirting material
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:06 pm 

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:24 pm
Posts: 31
TKID: 13377
3-c wrote:
What exactly was the LA show you mention in your posts? Was that the red carpet event with Disneyland costumes? Or asked differently: how do you know the kits photographed were used in the movies?

Display at FIDM. Though I have photos from the screen used at the premier as well.
Heres the gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/JbR9i


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
twilightBB Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net